Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Things, things everywhere and no place to put them.

I know most of you feel my pain - the pain of too.much.stuff. and not.enough.space. NEVER enough space. I think that's why I love photography so much - pictures (particularly digital ones) take up very little space and they can be fit anywhere: on a wall, leaning on a mantel, tucked under the rim of a bulletin board. Of course, all the *stuff* that goes along with my photography habit (namely, my scrapbooking habit) is copious - but more on that in a moment.


And so, in the name of gathering toys together to pass on to a friend, I have come up with some goals for myself - and a question for all of you.


1. Reduce. My stuff (and the kids'). By at least 25 percent.
2. Reorganize. Make better use of the space we have.
3. Redecorate. OK, so this one is kind of a cheat, as I've already started. We're painting the house and doing all the things that (had we been smarter) we would have done almost nine years ago when we moved in. Yay housing market collapse! :(


What are you holding on to, and why? Take it as abstract as you want. It can be a flowerpot that you painted when you were six that doesn't go with your decor *at all* but you love it because it's bright and cheerful and it reminds you of when school meant pencil boxes and papier mache and those thick jars of glue. Or it could be the weight of the world. Your call. But tell me - I wanna know!

And a picture from this afternoon of Missy whacking herself on the head with a flower. Love that girl.

5 comments:

  1. If you like home decor then you should check out www.younghouselove.com They have some terrific ideas. They are also organizational geniuses. I don't think I have anything that I'm truly too attatched too. Paul is the sentimental decorator at our house. He insists that we hang the collage frames we had at our wedding (and will NOT let me paint the frames), have the hidiously ugly sugar dish that belonged to his grandparents, and even still has the shirt he wore when both kidlets were born (that he won't part with on the off chance we have anymore kids - I guess it is his childbirth shirt, weird I know).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE younghouselove.com! I want that house a lot :). Besides loveys for the kids (and the kids themselves, of course), I'd grab my camera and my external hard drive. Is that sad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've held onto pretty much all baby stuff. It started with knowing that we would have at least one more. Then when we had a 2nd boy, it just seemed to make sense. But good grief, does baby stuff take up a lot of room! I see certain things, like the bouncer seat, at consignment sales super cheap and I think - I should get rid of mine, and snatch one up if/when I need it again. Have I done it yet? No. But I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess there are a few baby items I won't part with. We still use our sling and cloth diapers but I won't part with either just in case we ever need them again. I'll just stick them in a box in the basement for the next 20 years, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been saving all my kids favorite t-shirts from school and scouts and so forth, hoping to make them a t-shirt quilt for graduation. My oldest graduated 2 years ago....yeah, no quilt yet :(

    ReplyDelete